Science is about developing children's ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills.
At Arnold Mill we aim to:
- Prepare children for a life in an increasingly scientific and technological world.
- Help children acquire a growing understanding of scientific ideas.
- Provide opportunities for children to acquire practical scientific skills.
- Develop the skills of investigation- including observing, measuring, predicting, hypothesising, experimenting, communicating, interpreting, explaining and evaluating.
- Develop each child's understanding of scientific concepts and their ability to apply them in everyday contexts.
- Foster concern about, and active care for, our environment.
- Encourage children to ask and answer scientific questions.
- Provide children with an enjoyable experience of science.
- Build on children's natural curiosity and develop a scientific approach to problems.
We offer the children a broad and balanced curriculum which builds on their knowledge, skills and understanding of science each year. They will leave Arnold Mill and will be able to apply their knowledge and understanding of scientific ideas to familiar phenomena, everyday things and their personal health.