A Mini Topic About … Bees!
We are currently learning about bees in school, but would also like our home learners to discover the same interesting facts. Here are a list of lesson ideas for different subjects within the curriculum. Choose one or two a day and see what you can discover, create and learn. Please send us examples of your amazing work. We would love to have a 'Bee Gallery' on our class page.
The writing tasks are based on the wordless picture book ‘Bee-&-Me’ by Alison Jay which has a
message of hope and friendship. The story is about a little girl who befriends a bee and takes an
amazing journey of discovery.
Writing ideas related to ‘Bee and Me’ by Alison Jay
- Watch animation created from the book here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO215UAi4i4
- Draw a story map to retell the key events in the story. Annotate with key words or phrases.
- Write the story told by the images.
- Write a diary entry about an event in the story. You could write an entry in role as the girl and/or the bee.
- Write a thank you letter from the girl or the bee.
- Write a sequel describing another adventure with the bee (your character could be a boy).
- Create a comic strip to recount this story or your own bee story.
- Instructions: how to look after a bee; how to make bee medicine.
- Survival guide: how to survive a week with a human (from the bee’s perspective).
- TV Broadcast or newspaper ‘The Daily Buzz’ – recount of the event – HUMAN SIZED BEE INVADES NEIGHBOURHOOD.
- Magazine article - Interview between the girl and a journalist.
- Bird’s eye view as a commentary – description of the adventure on the bee’s back.
- Write a campaign speech – bees have rights (perspective of a bee).
Videos about bees
- Draw a map to show what a bee would see if they flew over the school/ your home/ local area. Mark notable landmarks.